Invitation to Submit
The Program Committee invites the submission of abstracts for original work for consideration as an Prize Oral, Mini-Oral or Poster in the ANZSN 2018 ASM program. The 2018 ASM is being held in Sydney from 10 to 12 September.
Abstract submission STRICTLY closes midnight AEST Friday 4th May 2018. There will be no extensions.
All submissions must be made via the online Presentation Portal. Abstract content will be cut and pasted into free text fields, no abstract document is required. The body of the abstract should not exceed 275 words. Incorrectly formatted abstracts and those over 275 words will be automatically rejected. The annual ANZSN ASM attracts a high volume of submissions and you will not be contacted to resubmit your abstract if it does not fit the requirement.
Accepted abstracts will be published in the Nephrology Journal as received at the time of submission unless expressly requested exclusion at time of submission. Authors will not have an opportunity to revise their abstracts.
While you will be asked to indicate your preferred presentation format, the program committee may request an alternative format be considered. The committee will allocate presentations to the program taking into account the preference of authors and the balance of the program.
Time allocated per mini oral presentation will be 5 minutes plus 2 minutes question and answer time.
Select this presentation type if you wish this abstract to be considered for one or more of the ASM Awards & Prizes*categories listed below.
|IMPORTANT: There are firm requirements for eligibility to these categories. If you apply for a Prize Oral and you are not eligible your abstract may not be considered for any alternate categories. Please carefully read the eligibility criteria and provide any supporting documentation as requested.|
- Young Investigator Award (12 mins presentation, 3 mins questions)
- Best Science Award: Kidney Health Australia Clinical Science Award (12 mins presentation, 3 mins questions)
- Best Science Award: Basic Science Award (12 mins presentation, 3 mins questions)
- Best Rural Science Award (5 mins presentation, 2 mins questions)
- Shaun Summers Clinical Trainee Prize (5 mins presentation, 2 mins questions)
An A0 portrait size poster that will be displayed for the duration of the ASM.
The abstract and a digital PDF of each accepted poster will be included in the ASM app for delegates to view on their smart devices.
*This format does not include an opportunity to orally present. One author listed on the poster abstract must be registered for at least one day of the ASM.
AO Poster Measurements
841 mm wide x 1189 mm high
33.1 inches wide x 46.8 inches high
Full guidelines for poster submissions can be found be clicking here.
During the submission process you will be asked to identify the theme that your submission best fits. The 2018 ASM Themes are listed below.
- Developmental Biology
- Experimental Immunology
- Experimental Tubolointerstitial Disease
- General Nephrology – Acute kidney injury
- General Nephrology – Epidemiology and Public Health
- General Nephrology – Health Services Research
- General Nephrology – Glomerulonephritis
- General Nephrology – Cardiovascular/Hypertension
- General Nephrology – Renal Genetics
- General Nephrology – Pregnancy associated
- General Nephrology – Other
- Haemodialysis – CKD-MBD/Anaemia/Adequacy
- Haemodialysis – Vascular Access
- Haemodialysis – Other
- Interventional Nephrology
- Peritoneal Dialysis
For each abstract you submit you will be asked to enter the following information:
- Presentation title
- Preferred presentation format
- Name/s of author/s
- Affiliation/s of author/s
- Indicate the presenter
- Short (100 word) biography of the presenter(s)
- Prepare your abstract
Prepare your 275 word abstract text. This applies for all submissions
- Enter your contact details
Go to the Presentation Portal (above) to enter your contact details.
- Enter Presenter and Author details
Enter names and affiliations of the presenter and authors. Also enter brief biography of the presenter(s), 100 words is sufficient.
- Enter your abstract text
Type the body text of your abstract into the relevant field in the Presentation Portal. The simplest way to complete this is to ‘Cut and Paste’ the 275 abstract body text.
Please ensure your submission is submitted online through the presentation portal and complies with the following criteria:
Title of Abstract
- Title in CAPITAL CASE
Authors and Affiliations Section
- Authors in CAPITAL CASE
- Affiliations in Sentence case
- Content in Sentence case
- Sub-headings in Sentence case
- Use single line spacing
- Include the sub-headings for: Aim, Background, Methods, Results, Conclusions
- Include the following subheadings for case studies: Background, Case Report, Conclusions
- Abstracts must not exceed 275 words, excluding the title, authors and affiliations
- Abstracts exceeding 275 words will not be accepted
- You MUST include results or data in your abstract.
- Abstracts that describe plans for a study or state “results will be presented” will not be accepted
- Abbreviations – include the full text on the first mention followed by the abbreviation in parenthesis
- Do not include figures and tables. Any abstracts with figures and tables will be rejected
- Do not include references
- Do not submit abstracts where the material has been published prior to the abstract submission deadline
- Do not submit abstracts with typographical or grammatical errors
- Abstracts must contain original work that has not previously been reported
- Abstracts may be original research, case studies, or insight and review articles
- Submissions will not be reviewed if not in the correct format
- Only the presenting author must submit the abstract
- Abstracts will be blind reviewed by the appointed abstract reviewers
- Faxed or mailed hard-copy abstracts will not be accepted
- Should co-authors require a confirmation letter regarding their paper being presented, they can request a letter from the ASM Secretariat
- No full papers are required
- All oral and poster presentations must be in English
- The Scientific Committee reserves the right to accept or refuse any abstract
- The Scientific Committee reserves the right to allocate a session time or a presentation type
- The abstracts will be blind reviewed by a panel made up of members from the ASM Scientific Committee
- The Committee retains the right to accept the abstract in a different type of presentation (for example, paper submitted for an oral type presentation can be accepted for a poster)
- Acceptance of an abstract will be based on relative merit and the degree to which the abstract meets the aims of the program
- The criteria for evaluating abstracts includes, but is not limited to, the following: scientific validity, originality, subject relevance, quality of the methodology and statistical analysis, and the degree to which the results are a new and useful addition to current knowledge.
- The acceptance of the abstract does not imply funding by the Conference Secretariat or the Committee. Presenting authors must attend the ASM to deliver the presentation (oral/poster); otherwise the paper/poster will be withdrawn. Presenting authors are required to register and pay to attend the conference.
- Session Chair Guidelines – to come
- Presenter Guidelines – to come
Each lecture room will be equipped for the presentation of Power Point slides and include a data projector, computer (with external speakers), lectern and microphone. Other audiovisual aids, such as Overhead Projectors, are not available
Presenters will take their Power Point slides to the meeting on a memory stick, where an audiovisual technician will load your presentation.
Video and audio clips should be embedded in your Power Point slides rather than linking to external files.
All slides will be run from a central presentation computer. However, if you have a complex presentation, which includes multiple media files, we suggest you bring your own laptop as a backup in case of difficulties loading your presentation.